Water damage should be cleaned up as soon as possible to prevent future damage from mould caused by excess moisture. Here are a few scenarios:
Small area water damaged carpet
Here we are talking a couple of square meteres (6.5 sq feet). Here you will have costs for:
- Call out
- Hire of water extraction machine
- air mover and dehumidifier hire over an average of around 3 days
- After the job there is some carpet cleaning, carpet relay and furniture replacement.
The above process done properly will protect you from future mould growth which can make you sick. These scenarios can cost anywhere between $400-$800.
But lets remember your contents / home cover insurance policy you have. It may be worth submitting a claim
Whole house water damage
A whole house water damage is a totally different scenario. The cause of the damage should be considered. If it is black water (flood or sewage water), the costs can escalate. The costs to consider include:
- Furniture movement
- Listing of non recoverable contents items (required by insurance)
- Electricity costs by air movers and dehumidifiers drying your house over 3 days
- Accommodation costs
- Disposal costs of non recoverable such as floating flooring which may have expanded
- Anti microbial costs, Cleaning of walls and skirting boards (black an grey water loss)
- Carpet Cleaning costs
- Costs for Carpet relay
- New Carpet Underlay
- Replacement carpet if required
- Replacement costs of non recoverable plasterboard (gyprock)
- Cabinet and cavity drying (use of specialized equipment)
It is not uncommon for water damage costs to range ffrom $10 000 to $20 000+ in these cases. This is where you may consider putting in an insurance claim.
I did a video which shows some aspects of the water damage Brisbane process:
Can Insurance Cover it?
Generally (but not in all cases) if you can pin the water damage down to an event then it could be considered a claim.
Hire a Water Damage Carpet Cleaning & Restoration Company
It is highly suggested you hire a qualified water damage company to do the whole process above for you. The reason I say this is because there has been many situations in the past where people have done the water damage cleaning themselves and It was not done to standard. This cause mould to form in the property and they and their family has been sick from this.
Choosing the Right Company
Sometimes the insurance company will choose one for you. But If you are to choose one yourself, you should look for
- IICRC certification (insitutue of inspection cleaning and restoration cen rtificiation)
- Several years in business
- Specialists in Water damage only – There are alot of companies out there who are really carpet cleaning who do water damage just to make abit of money on the side.
- Fully Insured.
If you require water damage carpet cleaning Brisbane services. Please give us a call so that we can help you on 1300 346 988.